Mon - Sun: 7am to 11pm
|Broadcasts Live News|
|Licensed Outside Area|
This pub takes its name from the 'linen and woollen drapers and silk mercers' John James Fox & Son. The firm was recorded in St John's Street in 1839, when it manufactured a woven woollen fabric known as 'linsey-woolsey'.
Located just off Market Place, The Silk Mercer is a Grade II-listed, 18th-century building, with a 19th-century shop front across the ground floor. For more than 70 years, dating from the 1930s, the premises were occupied by The London Draper's Warehouse. It was around this time that Devizes' centuries-old wool & cloth trade was coming to an end.
We show live subtitled news (on silent) throughout the day.