Mon - Thu: 8am to 12am
Fri - Sat: 8am to 1am
Sun: 8am to 12am
|Broadcasts Live News|
|Cask Marque Accredited|
|Licensed Outside Area|
This building was originally the Lion Hotel, built in 1881, with a large, red, stone lion on the roof. In 1904, the lion was placed at ground level and the pub soon became known as The Red Lion, and its location dubbed Lion's Corner.
The bright, bustling pub of today celebrates a history dating from 1881. This was when it first opened under the ownership of building-contractor-turned-landlord Samuel Clarke, from Nottinghamshire. A sandstone lion, carved by Richard Winn of Grimsby, was originally placed on top of the building over the corner entrance of this pub. The six-hundredweight lion, from which the pub got its name, was brought to pavement-level, for safety reasons, in 1904.
We show live subtitled news (on silent) throughout the day.