Mon - Sun: 8am to 11pm
North Town Wharf once stood behind this Wetherspoon pub, next to the River Tone. Facing it was the Coal Orchard, which was the site of an orchard which became the landing place for Welsh coal.
Since medieval times, Taunton flourished as a market town. Its prominence in the cloth trade was also established early on. The town's first fulling mill is recorded in 1218, and for 500 years looms and fulling mills, driven by the Tone, were one of the chief sources of employment. In the 18th century, improvements to the Tone made it easier for boats to reach Coal Orchard by the Tone Bridge. Today, Coal Orchard car park recalls this important trading place, opposite North Town Wharf, which stood just behind this pub.
We show live subtitled news (on silent) throughout the day.