023 8038 8940
Mon - Thu: 8am to 11pm
Fri - Sat: 8am to 12am
Sun: 8am to 11pm
This pub is a late Victorian building (the former Cork and Bottle), purpose built as the offices for Southampton's first docks - the Eastern Docks (now Ocean Village). The docks were built in early Victorian times, with Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis (later appointed Admiral of the Fleet) laying the foundation stone for the 'open' (or 'tidal') dock on 12 October 1838, in a ceremony watched by more than 20,000 people, including Southampton's mayor.
This pub, the former Cork and Bottle, is one of several grade II listed buildings on Canute Road. The thoroughfare forms the perimeter of Ocean Village, itself developed since the 1980s on the site of the city's Eastern Docks. The former Cork and Bottle premises were built almost a century earlier, soon after the docks were acquired by the London and South Western Railway Company (L&SWR), in 1892. Purpose built as dock offices, the former Cork and Bottle housed the L&SWR's 'Channel Steamers booking office' and the Dock Master's office for
We show live subtitled news (on silent) throughout the day.