Mon - Sun: 8am to 11pm
This pub was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, known as the Centenary Chapel, built in 1840 to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Methodism. 'Chapel an Gansblydhen' is the Cornish translation of Centenary Chapel.
Bodmin is the largest town in north Cornwall, located 12 miles from both the north and south coasts, on the southwestern fringe of Bodmin Moor. The town is often referred to as the 'Gateway to the Moor'. According to tradition, St Petroc arrived in Bodmin in the early 6th century, taking over a monastic settlement. Bodmin subsequently became the leading religious centre in Cornwall. Its name means 'dwelling of the monks'. In the early 13th century, the Franciscan Friars established a friary at the lower end of Fore Street. Thomas Vivian was the last-but-one Prior of Bodmin. Soon after he died, in 1533, the monastery was closed down by Henry VIII, with the prior's remains removed to St Petroc's parish church.
We show live subtitled news (on silent) throughout the day.