The Angel Hotel, in Whitby, has been honoured with two plaques, unveiled by Whitby Civic Society.
The pub and 34-bedroom hotel opened in the North Yorkshire town in March this year, following a £3.89-million redevelopment project.
The hotel, previously the New Angel, for about a decade, has long been the Angel Hotel and Angel Inn before that – and is known locally as the ‘Big A’.
The blue plaques, which once adorned the walls of the premises, had been taken away for safe keeping, when the building was put up for sale in 2010.
They have now been rededicated at a ceremony attended by members of the Whitby Civic Society, a representative from the North York Moors Railway and members of staff from the pub and hotel.
The first plaque, on display in the lower bar, commemorates the meeting (held at the Angel in September 1832) which founded the Whitby-to-Pickering railway, as well as the subsequent reopening of the North Yorkshire Moors railway in May 1973.
The second blue Civic Society plaque commemorates that the author Arthur Machen stayed at the Angel in November 1916. Described as a journalist and man of letters, Machen is best known for his supernatural, fantasy and horror fiction, including his novella The Great God Pan.
George Dawson, chairman of Whitby Civic Society, told the Whitby Gazette: “We are delighted that J D Wetherspoon and the team at The Angel Hotel have actively supported the placement of two commemorative plaques at the newly refurbished hotel.
“We thank J D Wetherspoon for its support and congratulate it on a very high-standard investment here in Whitby.”